Thursday, November 14, 2013

What is my place?



What is the place of a creator in a world where the tendency to keep consuming and creating is a threat to our existence?

This is a tough one. And maybe not a very fun topic to discuss, but it feels important to me, so forgive me, I'll bring it up anyway. I make things, it is my passion and my life. It is what I do. But what use are the things I make? I don't want to add to the pile of unnecessary things, while putting another small strain on our planet and another.
This has been a big issue for me, as I want to be as respectful as I can towards our Mother Earth.

I decided for this little business of mine, I will only create the things that are very persistent and that absolutely want to be created. Often I will find out later why sprouting this particular idea into a 'thing' was important.
I want to make the world a better place and will use my work as a tool to do so.
Also, I hereby promise that I will work with environmentally friendly materials as much as I can. Often, they are the more expensive option, but I figured that the other 'option' is not really an option. With this work I want to help make the world a more wonderful place, not help break it down. I will do this one step at a time. When I needed new tape for packaging, I bought paper-tape with 'friendly' glue. A lot of the fabrics I use are from the thrift store, creating something wonderful new with old abolished things..
Options that are environmentally-conscious aren't always easy to find.. And it isn't always as clear what is the best route to take. (Something completely made with natural materials could have costed a lot of clean water and energy to make, for example..) So, I will research this one bit at a time and make it a fun process.

This is my promise. Because I want to live what I believe.

4 comments:

Reiné said...

Unknown said...

One step at a time! Ik vind het geweldig - wat goed van je
x

Dorien Ruben said...

Dank jullie wel! :)

Run Lori Run said...

well said, i agree....